Mission, Calgary AB

A Historic and Trendy Calgary Neighbourhood Located Along the Elbow River.

Mission is one of the oldest and most vibrant areas in the city. It’s located south of downtown, along the beautiful Elbow River, and it’s bounded by 17th Avenue, 4th Street, and 25th Avenue. One of the great things about Mission is its rich history and culture. It was originally a Francophone settlement and a Catholic mission, founded by Father Albert Lacombe. 


Mission is one of the most desirable neighbourhoods in Calgary. According to bode.ca1, a website that allows homeowners to sell their properties without a REALTOR®, the average property price is $467,8282, which is slightly lower than the city average of $479,0002. The neighbourhood has seen a steady growth rate, with prices increasing by 4.96% year over year. 

In terms of property types, condos make up the majority of listings in Mission, accounting for 88% of the market. Townhouses make up the remaining 12%.  The average condo price in Mission is $373,0002, which is slightly lower than the city average of $379,0002. On the other hand, the average townhouse price in Mission is $1,050,0002, which is significantly higher than the city average of $449,0002. If you’re looking to invest, Mission has a low vacancy rate and a high demand, making it a promising choice.


Mission has some of the oldest ones in Calgary. St. Mary’s School3 is the oldest operating school in the city, founded way back in 1885. They offer a wide range of programs like Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, Fine Arts, and even a Hockey Canada Skills Academy. 


Mission is a foodie’s paradise. You’ll find an incredible variety of restaurants catering to every taste and budget. Whether you’re craving casual or fine dining, Italian or Mexican cuisine, or even just a cozy coffee shop, Mission has got you covered. Earls Tin Palace5 is a stylish restaurant with a lovely patio overlooking the river. If you’re in the mood for Italian, Mercato6 is a family-owned gem where you can enjoy authentic dishes and even buy gourmet products from their market. Anejo7 is the place to go for mouthwatering Mexican dishes and tasty drinks during their happy hour. And if you’re looking for a cozy spot for coffee and delicious baked goods, Purple Perk8 is your go-to place.


Mission also has some great green spaces and public art that add to its charm. The Elbow River Pathway is perfect for a leisurely walk or bike ride, offering scenic views of the river and the city. Lindsay Park is a large park with a playground, water park, and even a sports field. You’ll also find some beautiful public art, like the Mission Bridge Mural, which tells the story of the neighbourhood’s history and culture.


Mission is a historic and trendy neighbourhood that offers a little bit of everything. From education and entertainment to culture and nature, it’s all there. And with its attractive real estate market, convenient location, and vibrant atmosphere, Mission is definitely worth exploring.

(1) Bōde Canada | Buy or Sell your home with a realtor. https://bode.ca/

(2) Market Data | Understand the real estate market | Bode Canada. https://bode.ca/market-data.

(3) St. Mary’s High School | Calgary Catholic School District. https://stmarys.cssd.ab.ca/

(4) Earls | Calgary Tin Palace. https://earls.ca/locations/calgary-tin-palace/
(5) Mercato Gourmet | Mission. https://www.mercatogourmet.com/restaurant

(6) Anejo Restaurant | Calgary. https://www.anejo.ca/en/locations/ab/calgary/2116-4th-street-sw-2

(7) Las Canarias. https://lascanarias.ca/

(8) Purple Perk. https://www.purpleperk.com/